Scoring Central
Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: VO Mixing (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) (/showthread.php?tid=95)

Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - Mattias Westlund - 08-08-2016

I certainly don't know if it's the right thing to do, or if it's legal to use it, but did you know that you can get a fully functioning ARIA Player completely for free?

If you create an account at makemusic.com you can search their download database and download ARIA Player without having any valid licenses for GPO or whatever.

It's been this way for a few years now, I think since even before Garritan became a part of makemusic. So I doubt that it's just an oversight, but who knows. I haven't used it for anything beyond testing purposes myself, but for anyone who feels limited by the monotimbral Sforzando it might be fun to have a look at its big brother without having to pay the GPO entry fee.

RE: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - kmlandre - 08-09-2016

Nope,  it's totally legit.   There's a few free sound libraries out there,  too, made by plogue.  The aria engine was always intended to be free,  i believe.  

-- Kurt

RE: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - Mattias Westlund - 08-09-2016

(08-09-2016, 02:16 AM)kmlandre Wrote: Nope,  it's totally legit.   There's a few free sound libraries out there,  too, made by plogue.  The aria engine was always intended to be free,  i believe.  

-- Kurt

Really? I don't think I've ever seen any official mention of it anywhere.

RE: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - kmlandre - 08-09-2016

Hmmm...

I think you may be right. I just went back and poked around and it's sforzando that was supposed to be free, not Aria.

I thought *for sure* I'd seen that someplace, but now I question my memory...

-- Kurt

RE: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - Mattias Westlund - 08-09-2016

Yeah, Sforzando is the freeware offering. But they're not exactly stopping you from using ARIA either.

Actually, if Plogue went ahead and created a graphical SFZ editor integrated with their engine, they would have a potential long-term Kontakt killer on their hands. So I really don't know what's up with the half measures there. You have a solid sampling engine with disk streaming and whatnot, step up and take it to the next level FFS!

RE: Sneaky tip (ARIA Player) - Samulis - 08-13-2016

(08-09-2016, 10:59 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Yeah, Sforzando is the freeware offering. But they're not exactly stopping you from using ARIA either.

Actually, if Plogue went ahead and created a graphical SFZ editor integrated with their engine, they would have a potential long-term Kontakt killer on their hands. So I really don't know what's up with the half measures there. You have a solid sampling engine with disk streaming and whatnot, step up and take it to the next level FFS!

The other missing thing from ARIA is a graphical UI creator... right now I believe you have to create things manually with XML.

Maybe they have these tools internally? I too have no idea why they wouldn't release a public visual development tool or something. ARIA has some really fantastic features when tied in with SFZ and Scala- it could totally mop up the entire freeware market in one scoop.

The good news is, Elan Hickler's working on a sample processing, cutting, and mapping solution and he plans to include a SFZ export option, so with that, mapping should be at least resolved. For now, I guess we're stuck with the automapper I had built, haha.