Scoring Central
Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Off-topic (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations (/showthread.php?tid=842)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Mattias Westlund - 03-08-2022

(03-07-2022, 02:12 AM)Samulis Wrote: I actually saw a very good example of a wireless keyboard in practical use a friend's studio. He used it to control his DAW with hotkeys when he was solo recording himself. Since he needed to get away from the computer to avoid noise, it worked out well at least for starting and stopping takes, switching tracks, etc.

That is a good point, but it doesn't have to be wireless for that scenario. IIRC I used a regular wired keyboard with a 2m USB extension cable when recording acoustic guitar years ago, when the mic (or more likely preamp) was picking up EMI from my PC and I needed a fair bit of distance. Wireless is more convenient, of course.

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Mattias Westlund - 03-13-2022

A Swedish online computer store was having a sale so I picked up some HyperX pudding keycaps. They work absolutely fine with the Razer keyboard though I have to say I don't really like the look of them.

[Image: IMG_20220313_141126.jpg]

They're fine for single colors like this, but what the photos you see online can't convey is that when you use multiple colors you get a lot of ugly bleed and clashing between the keys. So I think I'm going back to the Alloy Elite keycaps again.

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Mattias Westlund - 08-08-2022

OK, I think I have officially been bitten by the mechanical keyboard bug. Picked up this used but like-new condition Roccat Vulcan 120 AIMO for just $/€28 yesterday.

[Image: roccat.jpg]

Linear switches like the BlackWidow V3 so the typing feel is similar, but the Vulcan feels maybe a tad more flimsy due to the keycaps being basically just the top portion. Still a very nice keyboard. Definitely loving the overall design of it!

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Paul Battersby - 08-09-2022

That's one fancy looking keyboard. Mine's just plain black and white and doesn't light up at all. That keyboard sitting in front of your synth looks like it might do a better job of triggering musical inspiration than my boring black and white unlit keyboard.

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Samulis - 08-11-2022

(08-08-2022, 02:41 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: OK, I think I have officially been bitten by the mechanical keyboard bug. Picked up this used but like-new condition Roccat Vulcan 120 AIMO for just $/€28 yesterday.

[Image: roccat.jpg]

Linear switches like the BlackWidow V3 so the typing feel is similar, but the Vulcan feels maybe a tad more flimsy due to the keycaps being basically just the top portion. Still a very nice keyboard. Definitely loving the overall design of it!

Very cool looking keyboard! Love that sort of 'slab with keys stuck into it' vibe for some reason; the Lekker is similar vibe, but the keys are much tighter together (and not nearly as tall) so you don't notice it as much.

BTW, I did find another advantage of buying a nice keyboard with removable keys: cleaning. I noticed mine was pretty dirty; I was able to strip all the keys off and clean between them (and scrub each keycap) in a matter of minutes.

A friend of mine was not super impressed with the linears when he stopped by, but I still find them preferable to the other types so far. I think I've slowly become a bit quieter on it too over time, now that I don't have to hammer on it.

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Mattias Westlund - 08-11-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:15 AM)Paul Battersby Wrote: That's one fancy looking keyboard.  Mine's just plain black and white and doesn't light up at all. That keyboard sitting in front of your synth looks like it might do a better job of triggering musical inspiration than my boring black and white unlit keyboard.

Haha, it sounds like you don't like your keyboard! Ever considered gettinga new one? Wink

(08-11-2022, 02:54 AM)Samulis Wrote: Very cool looking keyboard! Love that sort of 'slab with keys stuck into it' vibe for some reason; the Lekker is similar vibe, but the keys are much tighter together (and not nearly as tall) so you don't notice it as much.

Yeah, it has sort of a tasteful sci-fi look that I find very appealing. Nothing wrong with the BlackWidow's more traditional design of course, and I have a feeling I will return to it eventually when I get tired of looking at this thing. Call me weird, but I like switching keyboards every now and then.

(08-11-2022, 02:54 AM)Samulis Wrote: BTW, I did find another advantage of buying a nice keyboard with removable keys: cleaning. I noticed mine was pretty dirty; I was able to strip all the keys off and clean between them (and scrub each keycap) in a matter of minutes.

That is very handy, yes, and much easier than pulling the caps off a rubber dome keyboard. Only thing that worries me is that the keycaps might get worn out by being taken off and put back many times. I mean the +-shaped part of them that attaches to the switch. No fun if they start popping off when you don't want them to!

(08-11-2022, 02:54 AM)Samulis Wrote: A friend of mine was not super impressed with the linears when he stopped by, but I still find them preferable to the other types so far.

Same here, I like them much better than any other types of switches I've tried, especially the noisy ones.

RE: Looking for computer keyboard recommendations - Mattias Westlund - 09-20-2022

Slight update: The Roccat keyboards are not spill-safe! I happened to dribble a tiny bit of tea across the left part of the board -- and I mean TINY, like a teaspoon's worth -- and wiped it off as quick as I could. Next day, the white LED on the < key [right of the left shift key on a EU layout] was dead and I had to use contact cleaner to unstick several adjacent keys. Not great.

On the upside... the keycaps are again fully compatible with my Razer keyboard xD

[Image: IMG_20220920_022555.jpg]