Scoring Central
VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: General (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Sample & Software News (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra (/showthread.php?tid=704)

VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Mattias Westlund - 09-23-2019

Oh, hello? Free orchestral sample library from VSL

Various gotchas (no Kontakt atm, requires some sort of eLicenser) and since it's a "tutti orchestra" it's probably only useful for trailer music or sketching. But hey, gift horse and all that.

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Chris Spyratos - 09-24-2019

Came here to post about it. I'm curious though if I can use it with iLok since it is the only "licensing" tool I have.

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Alex Burger - 09-24-2019

(09-24-2019, 09:19 AM)Chris Spyratos Wrote: I'm curious though if I can use it with iLok since it is the only "licensing" tool I have.

You cannot use iLok (it's stated there). Only Vienna Key or Steinberg's e-Licencer.

imo the biggest drawback on this thing although it sounds awesome (especially brass).

I wonder if can use my old GS4 dongle for this ? Smile

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Mattias Westlund - 09-30-2019

I have an old Cubase dongle (Syncrosoft?)... somewhere. Even if it might work I'm definitely not going back to the copy protection schemes of yore just for a freebie.

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Michael Willis - 09-30-2019

One might wonder why oh why would you have to use a copy protection scheme for a freebie in the first place?

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Mattias Westlund - 09-30-2019

(09-30-2019, 07:50 PM)Michael Willis Wrote: One might wonder why oh why would you have to use a copy protection scheme for a freebie in the first place?

Delusions of grandeur?

Seriously though, I have no idea. If you own such hardware you likely have better or at least less limited libraries to choose from already.

RE: VSL releases FREE Big Bang Orchestra - Alex Burger - 10-01-2019

EW has done it better. Although they use iLok1 at this time, they decrypt the samples, dont't use the dongle, and serve all samples as Wav's in a zip. So you don't have to use Play,
instead you're able to build your own sections in your sampler of choice. In sum it was a pretty cool freebie at it's time.

Cubase Dongle should work. My GS4 e-Licencer is pretty old but works - no problems here. But I wish they gave us the raw wav's so I can build my own patch. Now I have to start a seperate
player, and if Layers comes out with the same protection scheme, I have to start another player, and so on and so on. It' simply not useful that way, at least for me.

But I can imagine that's not that easy. I dont' know how they organize their samples, in fact noone does, cause VSL is one encrypted, compressed monolith. I'am not so sure that this is
linear encoded, because then you end up with aprox. 80 MB (16,44 that is) and that seems to less for the amount of articulations.

But nevertheless it' pretty cool though. You can use the close mics on trumpets, horns and low brass more isolated and use your own reverb. Or any mix between them.
There is no close mic on the trombones, but they oberblow the rest anyway Smile And you can never have enough free bones, though you have to integrate these in your mix of course.
Yeah, so it's not too bad I'd say.