Scoring Central
Experimental samples - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Samples & Sample libraries (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Experimental samples (/showthread.php?tid=381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Experimental samples - bigcat1969 - 04-28-2018

Off topic, but most of us go back a while on computers. doesn't all this power just amaze you? I remember when my computer had trouble with some of the more tightly compressed mp3s and I actually converted them to to waves to listen to them and then deleted the wave to save space. The jpeg compression controversy versus gif. We have come a long way and yet we still long for 8 bit sounds from our youth.... Sorry as you were.

RE: Experimental samples - peastman - 04-28-2018

Quote:Maybe your midi controller and mine have very different velocity curvers?

I generally use the on screen keyboard in Sforzando for checking volumes.  It sets the velocity based on where you click vertically along the note, which makes it easy to check the effect of small velocity changes, or to click repeatedly in the same place to compare round robins at identical velocity.  In this case, the volume changes sharply in the space of just a few pixels.

I ran your samples through my SFZ generator script, since it automatically corrects for differences in volume.  The files are attached for a couple of the 1st violin articulations.  At least for me, the difference is easy to hear.

RE: Experimental samples - Mattias Westlund - 04-29-2018

That's a really neat script! And yes, the dynamics feel a lot more even now. Just a couple of questions:

- What's up with the added ampeg_attack and offset values?
- Is there any way to make the script place duplicate opcodes (like xfin/xfout, seq_lenghth/position) under the <group> header instead, to reduce clutter?

Also, does anyone know whether you should use hivel/lovel together with the xfin/xfout opcodes, or just xfin/xfout? I realized I have both in the VS files, whereas peastman's sfz files have only xf. Maybe there's even no velocity crossfading at all if hivel/lovel are present?

RE: Experimental samples - Paul Battersby - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 11:43 AM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Also, does anyone know whether you should use hivel/lovel together with the xfin/xfout opcodes, or just xfin/xfout?

It seems to me that having both defeats the purpose of one of them. hivel + xfin is like applying both a fixed threshold and a crossfade at the same time. I don't see how both could work together. I know from personal experience, you don't need hivel, lovel if you're using xfin xfout.

OK, thanks for clearing that up Paul! For some reason I thought you had to define the two separate layers with hivel/lovel as usual, and then use the xf opcodes to specify how much of an overlap you want between them, up and down. Kind of like this:

Code:
|----- low vel ------||------ high vel ------|
           |---- crossfade ----|

But I realize now that is not how it works.

RE: Experimental samples - Samulis - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 12:01 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: OK, thanks for clearing that up Paul! For some reason I thought you had to define the two separate layers with hivel/lovel as usual, and then use the xf opcodes to specify how much of an overlap you want between them, up and down. Kind of like this:

Code:
|----- low vel ------||------ high vel ------|
          |---- crossfade ----|

But I realize now that is not how it works.

Yep, it's more like this-
Code:
|-------- vel 1 -------|
|------ crossfade -----|
|-------- vel 2 -------|

(or you can do:)
    |-- crossfade --|

or for a 3-layer-

|--- vel 1 ---|--- vel 3 ---|
|---------- vel 2 ----------|
|--- lo xf ---|--- hi xf ---|

RE: Experimental samples - peastman - 04-29-2018

Quote: - What's up with the added ampeg_attack and offset values?

By default it sets a very short attack time, just to smooth out discontinuities at the starts of samples.  It also searches for silence at the starts of samples and adds an offset to remove it.  It looks like that wasn't much of a problem on these samples, since most of the offsets are tiny.  I added that feature when I was working with the ldk1609 violin samples, since some of those have big gaps at the starts.

Quote:- Is there any way to make the script place duplicate opcodes (like xfin/xfout, seq_lenghth/position) under the <group> header instead, to reduce clutter?

This was a tradeoff between how much information to put in the group header and how many groups to include.  The alternative would be to have a separate group for every layer and sequence position, which would reduce the amount of information for each region but would require other global settings like envelope and trigger to be repeated several times.  Also, it doesn't assume that every note will have the same number of layers or round robins.  That's why I decided it was simplest to just treat those as per-sample properties.

I kind of wish the format allowed nested groups so you could have per-instrument settings, per-layer settings, etc.

RE: Experimental samples - Samulis - 04-29-2018

(04-29-2018, 05:20 PM)peastman Wrote: I kind of wish the format allowed nested groups so you could have per-instrument settings, per-layer settings, etc.

Don't we all. :/

If you don't mind possibly losing some compatibility with SFZ 1.0-only players, SFZ 2.0/ARIA/Cakewalk specifies a <global> header which applies to all groups up until the next <global> header as a sort of "super group". I used that pretty heavily in VSCO 2.

If only Rene added </group> so we could nest the darned things... maybe it was too difficult to allow nesting on the player side? Or maybe it was thought nesting would cause too much confusion for people who don't know anything about scripts? I would figure anyone who has used a BB code would understand the concept well enough, though...

RE: Experimental samples - Mattias Westlund - 05-01-2018

I haven't done much work on the samples themselves the latest days, but I have started creating some potentially useful UI controls for the sfz files. Aside from a ADSR envelope and other basics, I have added velocity sensitity, a sample offset control and a 3-band EQ that lets you make up to -12dB cuts at fixed frequencies (named Body, Bite and Air). Let me know what you think. You will need to search/replace the file extensions in the file and change them from wav to ogg, and change the file extention from txt to sfz.