Scoring Central
A themed compilation album? - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: General (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: A themed compilation album? (/showthread.php?tid=194)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A themed compilation album? - Michael Willis - 03-22-2017

Here's another brief snippet of mine, the idea is that an imposing mountain range in the distance has come into view, and there is a resolve that it must be crossed: https://instaud.io/Pwt

There are some harmonies that vaguely correspond with the Starlight one that I posted earlier.

RE: A themed compilation album? - Mattias Westlund - 03-22-2017

Hmm. Well, what can I say. I was interested up until the point you started talking about doing a thematically connected symphonic album with a single predetermined library Wink

A collection of tavern tracks on the other hand, that I would definitely be interested in. I already have some unifinished stuff like this...

and this

...that might fit the bill in that case. But I have my hands full with orchestral stuff already, and I don't really feel like getting involved in something as ambitious as what you're suggesting. Especially not if I'm not allowed to use the libs and instruments I'm accustomed to using.

RE: A themed compilation album? - Mattias Westlund - 03-22-2017

(03-21-2017, 06:26 PM)Otto Halmén Wrote: Tavern music is one example of such a concept. To keep it simple, we could keep the concept of a tavern rather loosely defined, so things like 19th century saloons and 22nd century cyberrunner joints wouldn't be off the table, along with inns named after dragons of a particular color, of course. Wink

This idea I like. It could easily be expanded to include stuff from different cultures/genres so you'd have things like Beowulf-style Viking mead hall, pirate tavern à la Tortuga in PotC, Asian opium den, Irish-inspired harvest festival dance, and so on.

Ha, well leave it to me to take a good idea and ruin it by blowing it out of proportion. It could certainly be more inviting for people to participate if we dial down the rules, and say that everything only has to be loosely related to a specific theme, that way nobody is tied down to any specific era, sound, or style of instruments.

RE: A themed compilation album? - Otto Halmén - 03-22-2017

Well, why not both, eventually? Smile

A tavern collection is simple enough to realize with minimal coordination. At most, we could present our ideas to make sure we don't accidentally end up with too much overlap (e.g. everyone decides to go Irish). For instance, I have some ideas for the steam-era saloon type song I brought up as an example. Smile

As to the symphonic suite, I'm still up for it, of course. Smile

(03-22-2017, 03:00 PM)Otto Halmén Wrote: Well, why not both, eventually? Smile

Right, I was actually thinking of that - let's do something simple first, and then if we find that we have a good thing going, we can try something more ambitious.

I actually have an old midi composition from days of yore that might fit right in with the tavern/inn theme. It's one that I've been meaning to give a good overhaul for... at least ten years Wink

RE: A themed compilation album? - Chris Spyratos - 03-22-2017

Limiting our options is the best way to fuel creativity! I am full into using only one library + a free instrument of our choice (to add flavor) but keeping it simple and cohesive as well. It would be a good idea though if the mixing process of every track was done by a single engineer.
Also, the weather is getting warmer each and every day here in Athens so I have all the motivation for a greek tavern theme!

RE: A themed compilation album? - Mattias Westlund - 03-23-2017

Am I the only one who's not seeing the logic in using an orchestral lib for "tavern" music? Maybe my idea of the genre differs from eveyone else's Smile

Anyway, should we decide to go ahead with the tavern thing I would be happy to offer my humble services playing high and low whistles (and whatever other small wind instruments I have), if the parts in question are within my abilities.

RE: A themed compilation album? - Samulis - 03-23-2017

Mattias has a point... maybe we should put together a custom soundset for it! *WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY... WE CAN REBUILD HIM...*

(sorry, I had to say that)

Anyway, I think it'd be a fun challenge to put together a little SFZ set as "phase one" of our master-plan. I can throw in some super secret samples or something, maybe convince my friend who plays mandolin to sit down in front of a few mics.

RE: A themed compilation album? - Mattias Westlund - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 09:41 AM)Samulis Wrote: Anyway, I think it'd be a fun challenge to put together a little SFZ set as "phase one" of our master-plan. I can throw in some super secret samples or something, maybe convince my friend who plays mandolin to sit down in front of a few mics.

That would be great, maybe we should start off with creating a list of what is out there. Versilian has a nice celtic harp (if still available -- Sam?), plus there's that old celtic/gothic harp soundfont that could easily be converted to sfz. In fact, I think I already have an sfz version. MSLP has a nice mandolin with strummed chords, plucked notes and tremolo, all with multiple RR. There's also an acoustic guitar with min/maj chords, and maybe other useful stuff as well.