Scoring Central
Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Samples & Sample libraries (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts (/showthread.php?tid=155)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Samulis - 01-11-2017

Personally whenever I use the Violin Espresso patch instead, I end up very hyper. Any ideas?!?

*ba-dum-tiss*

(seriously, I love this thread. Will we ever stop finding things annoying with the execution of this soundset?)

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Mattias Westlund - 01-11-2017

(01-11-2017, 09:51 PM)Samulis Wrote: Personally whenever I use the Violin Espresso patch instead, I end up very hyper. Any ideas?!?

*ba-dum-tiss*

(seriously, I love this thread. Will we ever stop finding things annoying with the execution of this soundset?)

Har har!

Well, if anything it proves that a musician's sense of entitlement shows no boundaries. "$1? Are you kidding me? This thing is crap!" Big Grin

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - goldglob - 01-12-2017

But guys, it has a nice coffee and cream look about it!

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Otto Halmén - 01-12-2017

It's like drinking Blue Mountain from a bidet.

Better keep an eye out for the old Gigastudio versions on the used market. Those could certainly be ported to pretty much anything.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Samulis - 01-12-2017

Ahh... the days when a gigabyte library was like landing someone on the moon and naming your company after that fact was a sign of status... so happy I wasn't really around then. XD

*is planning to change VS name to "Terastudio" as we speak*

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Chris Spyratos - 03-18-2017

Hello guys, new to the forum, glad to be here,
I bought the Sonivox for 1 pound (or was 1 euro?) and the other sonivox orchestral companions as well with the discount of plugin boutique 2 or 3 months ago. When I installed I was amazed at how nice it sounded but I quickly found out all those little things in their romplers that made them uncontrollable, at least for the purpose I intended to use them.
Recently I found out about Sonatina orchestra, VSCO & Virtual Playing Orchestra and with them I was introduced to the TX16Wx sampler. This is the part where I say a big THANK YOU to all of you for creating them!
Anyway, I quickly became comfortable with the sampler and I remembered that Sonivox had these folders with wavs in them, and I was sure I could program better patches than those of the original romplers, for my taste at least! So I opened a beer can, said goodbye to my sleep and begun searching for the files.

Enter the sonivox protected wavs.
I realized that I was stuck with the romplers if I wanted to use those samples.

As I understand, one could find the old sonic implants symphonic collections and access the original GIGA format samples without any restrictions and on any sampler he likes.

So what is the purpose of these editions? A rebranded form of old samples targeted at hobbyists who don't have the bucks? After all they were not that cheap without the sale. I feel somehow dissapointed with the product, as I don't see any update coming. I nmy opinion they should have invested more in programming rather than marketing.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Nayrb - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 01:14 PM)oGatoulas Wrote: Hello guys, new to the forum, glad to be here,
I bought the Sonivox for 1 pound (or was 1 euro?) and the other sonivox orchestral companions as well with the discount of plugin boutique 2 or 3 months ago. When I installed I was amazed at how nice it sounded but I quickly found out all those little things in their romplers that made them uncontrollable, at least for the purpose I intended to use them.
Recently I found out about Sonatina orchestra, VSCO & Virtual Playing Orchestra and with them I was introduced to the TX16Wx sampler. This is the part where I say a big THANK YOU to all of you for creating them!
Anyway, I quickly became comfortable with the sampler and I remembered that Sonivox had these folders with wavs in them, and I was sure I could program better patches than those of the original romplers, for my taste at least! So I opened a beer can, said goodbye to my sleep and begun searching for the files.

Enter the sonivox protected wavs.
I realized that I was stuck with the romplers if I wanted to use those samples.

As I understand, one could find the old sonic implants symphonic collections and access the original GIGA format samples without any restrictions and on any sampler he likes.

So what is the purpose of these editions? A rebranded form of old samples targeted at hobbyists who don't have the bucks? After all they were not that cheap without the sale. I feel somehow dissapointed with the product, as I don't see any update coming. I nmy opinion they should have invested more in programming rather than marketing.

Greetings and welcome! The purpose of the Orchestral Companion libraries seems to be nothing over than trying to stay relevant in the market; they are just trying to continue profiting from their old work. And who could blame them? If the libraries worked as advertised they'd be a fine option, indeed (especially at a buck each!). I believe Mattias has some positive things to say about SoniVox's old samples, and I'm sure others with experience would agree. But unfortunately SoniVox shot themselves in the foot by not spending the necessary time on programming that they should have to make the libraries function properly; and you're right, it doesn't look like they will return to them any time soon for updates. In fact it seems like they are abandoning them entirely. Which begs the question, why not just unlock the samples for people to use as they liked?

But you've found some great options with SSO, VSCO and VPO!

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Samulis - 03-12-2019

Quick follow-up... I actually legitimately tried to contact Sonivox through their parent company about licensing the OC samples. As of several months later, I have not heard anything back. RIP glorious ambitions. XD

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Mattias Westlund - 03-12-2019

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Worth a try though!

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Terry93D - 03-13-2019

(03-12-2019, 10:41 PM)Samulis Wrote: Quick follow-up... I actually legitimately tried to contact Sonivox through their parent company about licensing the OC samples. As of several months later, I have not heard anything back. RIP glorious ambitions. XD

RIP indeed, glorious ambitions indeed!