Scoring Central
New to VO and music production - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: General (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Noob Zone (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: New to VO and music production (/showthread.php?tid=658)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: New to VO and music production - Nayrb - 07-09-2019

Welcome to the exciting world of VO, Kaustav Acharya! You have some nice sounding music, there. Some interesting ideas, and many feels.

I second the idea that you should simply listen to and analyze a lot of orchestral music that you like while experimenting with your own music. I would add that you should listen to a good amount of virtual orchestra specifically, as you do so, so you can hear how the technology works and get an idea of what you can expect using samples (Common articulations, that sort of thing).

I'd say you're off to a very good start on all those counts listening to Waters, reading Mattias' articles, and using VPO to experiment (and of course joining us here).

RE: New to VO and music production - Kaustav Acharya - 07-09-2019

(07-09-2019, 04:53 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Welcome to the exciting world of VO, Kaustav Acharya! You have some nice sounding music, there. Some interesting ideas, and many feels.

I second the idea that you should simply listen to and analyze a lot of orchestral music that you like while experimenting with your own music. I would add that you should listen to a good amount of virtual orchestra specifically, as you do so, so you can hear how the technology works and get an idea of what you can expect using samples (Common articulations, that sort of thing).

I'd say you're off to a very good start on all those counts listening to Waters, reading Mattias' articles, and using VPO to experiment (and of course joining us here).

Thanks! Any other VO artists or albums that you can recommend to learn/draw inspiration from?

RE: New to VO and music production - Nayrb - 07-09-2019

(07-09-2019, 08:29 AM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Thanks! Any other VO artists or albums that you can recommend to learn/draw inspiration from?

Check out early Jeremy Soule, like his OSTs for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Icewind Dale.

I've always enjoyed the soundtrack to the game Eschalon: Book II, and found it to be a good example of well chosen music that is effective in-game. It's actually comprised of original and licensed music by multiple composers. You can find it on YouTube.

RE: New to VO and music production - Mattias Westlund - 07-10-2019

(07-09-2019, 11:47 PM)Nayrb Wrote: Check out early Jeremy Soule, like his OSTs for Morrowind, Oblivion, and Icewind Dale.

Big +1 on that. His Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 soundtracks are stellar as well.

RE: New to VO and music production - Kaustav Acharya - 07-10-2019

Thanks everyone! I checked those out, really fascinating and inspiring music. Another question, do you feel that I should invest in some 'starter' orchestral all-in-one sort of libraries at this stage? Or will free libraries suffice? I'm not looking for high-end libraries and not willing to spend too much, since I'm not yet sure about how deep I want to get into this.

I did read the Noob FAQ, and Mattius mentioned about buying only the cheapest libraries available at a newbie stage. So my next question is, what such libraries would you recommend buying, if at all? Please note that I'm not fully sure of the kind of orchestral music I'd be making in the future ('epic' trailer music or game/film soundtrack).

RE: New to VO and music production - Mattias Westlund - 07-11-2019

(07-10-2019, 06:45 PM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Thanks everyone! I checked those out, really fascinating and inspiring music.

Pretty much everything Soule has done is great. I can also recommend Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II, Neverwinter Nights and Skyrim.

(07-10-2019, 06:45 PM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Another question, do you feel that I should invest in some 'starter' orchestral all-in-one sort of libraries at this stage? Or will free libraries suffice? I'm not looking for high-end libraries and not willing to spend too much, since I'm not yet sure about how deep I want to get into this.

Ten years ago I would have said definitely get an affordable commercial library, but things have changed. These days free samples will get you a loooong way (e.g. see here) and I honestly see no reason to shell out hundreds of $/€/£ when you're just starting out. Once you've gotten your feet wet and want to venture out into deeper waters you can always invest in something more advanced -- when and if you need it. For more basic "oldschool" type VO you can probably get away with using just free samples, with a few exceptions i.e. some instruments are rare in the free realm. Should you want to get into the big league type of scoring though, you're going to need tools to match.

But like I always say: your skill as a composer and your knowledge of whatever tools you have will always be more important than the quality of the tools. I've heard enough blah music made with insanely expensive sample libraries to state that with confidence.

RE: New to VO and music production - peastman - 07-11-2019

Definitely don't buy an orchestral library if you're just starting out. I made that mistake, and wish I hadn't wasted my money. That's not to say commercial libraries don't have value. But when you're just starting out, you have no idea what your needs are or what to look for in a library. I'd start by downloading SSO, VPO, and VSCO CE. You can go a really long way with those. And then if you start to outgrow them in the future, you'll have the experience to know what to look for so you can pick a library that meets your needs.

RE: New to VO and music production - Kaustav Acharya - 07-11-2019

(07-11-2019, 06:00 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Ten years ago I would have said definitely get an affordable commercial library, but things have changed. These days free samples will get you a loooong way (e.g. see here) and I honestly see no reason to shell out hundreds of $/€/£ when you're just starting out. Once you've gotten your feet wet and want to venture out into deeper waters you can always invest in something more advanced -- when and if you need it. For more basic "oldschool" type VO you can probably get away with using just free samples, with a few exceptions i.e. some instruments are rare in the free realm. Should you want to get into the big league type of scoring though, you're going to need tools to match.

But like I always say: your skill as a composer and your knowledge of whatever tools you have will always be more important than the quality of the tools. I've heard enough blah music made with insanely expensive sample libraries to state that with confidence.

Thanks! Really practical advice. I participate in the KVR One Synth Challenge every month wherein we make a track using only one synth (mostly free) for all the sounds without any sampling/resampling and using only free FX. The quality of the winning entries there really proves your final point.

(07-11-2019, 06:24 PM)peastman Wrote: Definitely don't buy an orchestral library if you're just starting out.  I made that mistake, and wish I hadn't wasted my money.  That's not to say commercial libraries don't have value.  But when you're just starting out, you have no idea what your needs are or what to look for in a library.  I'd start by downloading SSO, VPO, and VSCO CE.  You can go a really long way with those.  And then if you start to outgrow them in the future, you'll have the experience to know what to look for so you can pick a library that meets your needs.

Thanks ! I fully agree and thanks for reassuring me that I should not give in to GAS Big Grin

I'll try to learn the craft better using the free orchestral libraries and the synths which I bought/won.

RE: New to VO and music production - bigcat1969 - 07-11-2019

The mistake I made was getting lots of crap instead of saving up and getting the good stuff. Also never buy when it ain't on sale. But you likely knew that. Right now a lot is changing with Spitfire and others leaving Kontakt and who know how it will all play out, so it might be better to wait and see. To me say the stuff from Berlin sounds so good compared to say the Kontakt Factory Library of the old cheap Kirk Hunter stuff that it is worth saving up for.

RE: New to VO and music production - Nayrb - 07-12-2019

Sorry for the late response. Everyone here has basically said it, though. I agree that you should stick to the free stuff for now and see where it goes before you start shelling out cash. In my experience it's been good to have a core orchestral library to build on, supplementing or replacing instruments and sections as you see fit. For instance, you may find you like writing for winds a lot and go out looking for ways to expand your woodwinds section before anything else. You don't have to "have it all" right away; you can build over time (and take advantage of sales, like Bigcat says!).