Scoring Central
VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Music (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: User Music (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: VSCO2 Pro: First steps (/showthread.php?tid=604)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Michael Willis - 04-29-2019

(04-29-2019, 11:58 AM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: I lost the enthusiasm for working on it, and for music in general.

I'm really sad to hear that, but I'm glad that you've been enjoying writing and that you are back to doing something musical again.

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Nayrb - 04-30-2019

(04-29-2019, 11:58 AM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: I lost the enthusiasm for working on it, and for music in general. Which is why I've devoted myself to writing instead for almost a year now.

Good to take a break sometimes. I've spent the majority of my music time working on technical stuff the last several months. I haven't been nearly as productive as I was before. My latest album (finished in late 2017) is still not out because of that artist who takes forever Big Grin
That and I'm rather broke in terms of having money to spend on releasing CDs.

Writing is good, though. Nothing wrong with exercising different muscles, so to speak.

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Mattias Westlund - 04-30-2019

(04-29-2019, 10:09 PM)Michael Willis Wrote: I'm really sad to hear that, but I'm glad that you've been enjoying writing and that you are back to doing something musical again.

Thanks Michael! Yeah it sucks, but it's happened before and it usually passes after a few months. I got to the point where I had spent so much time working on the tracks that they were beginning to lose their magic and appeal. It felt like everything sounded terrible, so I just backed off to focus on other things.

(04-30-2019, 12:28 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Good to take a break sometimes. I've spent the majority of my music time working on technical stuff the last several months. I haven't been nearly as productive as I was before. My latest album (finished in late 2017) is still not out because of that artist who takes forever Big Grin
That and I'm rather broke in terms of having money to spend on releasing CDs.

Writing is good, though. Nothing wrong with exercising different muscles, so to speak.

Definitely, my creativity has just found a different outlet I think, which is nice. I want to finish the album and release it, but it needs to happen in its own time. I understand now that setting a release date for Lore was probably a rash thing to do when so much work remained, but I was on a roll and felt confident I could do it. And I did it with WoR. But Lore is twice the amount of music as WoR...

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Samulis - 05-01-2019

(04-27-2019, 11:18 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Thanks guys! This is pretty much just a composition from the top of my head, I just need something to work with for setting levels and panning and whatnot.

Initial grumpy niggles:

- S01 - Violin Section - Expr Leg is one semitone flat.
- Both clarinets are nigh unplayable due to slow note starts and/or initial delays.
- Many spiccato and pizzicato RRs also have various timing issues.
- The vibrato bassoon has hardly any vibrato.

Are there by any chance any patches/fixes (third-party or official) for stuff like this? I just realized the Versilian Studios forum is gone or am I going blind?

Try the 'legato' versions of the clarinets, as they will 'cut into' the note on legato phrases (turn up 'Sample Start %' to cut into the notes overall {make sure you increase 'attack' too or else it'll click like a synthesizer}, or turn up 'offset' to increase the responsiveness on notes within the legato phrase). Personally I like the slow note starts, you just have to use them in really gentle passages and save any rapid runs for the staccato patch. We haven't really found a better way to address this difference in opinion (edit: at least, a solution which can be integrated into the current engine). (EDIT: I will be honest, after trying the clarinet just now, the silence at the start is a little excessive... not sure we can re-cut it, but I'll note it down for if we ever do an update).

Are you sure the violin section exp leg is a semitone flat across the range, not just a single note? I wrote several demos with that patch and I find it kinda hard to believe I didn't notice in all that time.  Blush

spic and pizz are very difficult to get perfectly in time- use the 'tight' patches where available. There's no magic way to "fix" timing in post, although using the Time Machine (designated 'TM') patches and turning the dial up when on the spic and/or pizz articulations should theoretically reduce the issue, at the cost of some pretty decay tone being lost.

You can add more vibrato to the bassoon by again using the legato patch, and using the synthetic (WIPS) legato built into that. It just so happens neither of the bassoon players had all that prominent of a vibrato.

The forum went down maybe two years ago, I think? No one ever used it and it was kinda ugly and difficult to manage, so I closed it.

So far as patches are concerned, as long as you have the Library version (2.6), you have the latest that's out there. We don't really have plans to do another build (2.7), but we might put out a basic bug-fix at some point if we collect enough things.

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Mattias Westlund - 05-03-2019

(05-01-2019, 05:17 AM)Samulis Wrote: Try the 'legato' versions of the clarinets, as they will 'cut into' the note on legato phrases (turn up 'Sample Start %' to cut into the notes overall {make sure you increase 'attack' too or else it'll click like a synthesizer}, or turn up 'offset' to increase the responsiveness on notes within the legato phrase).

Yep, that was what I ended up doing Smile Speaking of which, how come legato articulations are separate patches? Does the script affect all articulations if you put it in a KS patch?

(05-01-2019, 05:17 AM)Samulis Wrote: Personally I like the slow note starts, you just have to use them in really gentle passages and save any rapid runs for the staccato patch.

Yes, well, playing gentle passages still requires being able to play in time Wink

(05-01-2019, 05:17 AM)Samulis Wrote: Are you sure the violin section exp leg is a semitone flat across the range, not just a single note? I wrote several demos with that patch and I find it kinda hard to believe I didn't notice in all that time.  Blush

Sharp, I meant sharp! And it's two semitones. I didn't have the project in front of me when typing that, I just recalled having to fiddle with transposition. But I just checked and yes, the entire range. The instrument begins on an A instead of a G.

(05-01-2019, 05:17 AM)Samulis Wrote: spic and pizz are very difficult to get perfectly in time- use the 'tight' patches where available. There's no magic way to "fix" timing in post, although using the Time Machine (designated 'TM') patches and turning the dial up when on the spic and/or pizz articulations should theoretically reduce the issue, at the cost of some pretty decay tone being lost.

Using the TM settings did help a bit, thanks. I understand that notes can't be played with 100% surgical precision, especially not with an ensemble of musicians, but I get the feeling that there are initial delays on some notes, just like on the clarinet. This throws all forms of rhythmic playing off, making it sound like the players have had a few drinks too many.

(05-01-2019, 05:17 AM)Samulis Wrote: You can add more vibrato to the bassoon by again using the legato patch, and using the synthetic (WIPS) legato built into that. It just so happens neither of the bassoon players had all that prominent of a vibrato.

Ah, thanks!

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Samulis - 05-03-2019

WIPS actually can't handle the multi-mic patches, that's why they are separate patches.

I'll check out the violin section exp leg when I get a chance.

Note that if you have the full Kontakt, you can edit the sample start points on a per-sample basis in the GUI via the 'wrench' icon. With something the size of VSCO 2, that isn't too daunting (shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes to tweak a patch's start times to preference), but I wouldn't try it on anything larger, haha.

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Mattias Westlund - 05-06-2019

(05-03-2019, 09:42 AM)Samulis Wrote: WIPS actually can't handle the multi-mic patches, that's why they are separate patches.

Ah, I see.

(05-03-2019, 09:42 AM)Samulis Wrote: I'll check out the violin section exp leg when I get a chance.

Cool, no hurry or anything though. It's easy enough to just transpose it down within Kontakt

(05-03-2019, 09:42 AM)Samulis Wrote: Note that if you have the full Kontakt, you can edit the sample start points on a per-sample basis in the GUI via the 'wrench' icon. With something the size of VSCO 2, that isn't too daunting (shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes to tweak a patch's start times to preference), but I wouldn't try it on anything larger, haha.

Yep, I know. Unfortunately I only have Kontakt Player so not much I can do about it on my end, which is why I wondered if any other VSCO2 Pro users on here might have some edited versions of the patches.

Speaking of which: will an edited VSCO2 Pro patch made with full Kontakt run on Kontakt Player? Or will it load up as "demo" since it's not an original part of the library?

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Samulis - 05-06-2019

(05-06-2019, 03:17 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Speaking of which: will an edited VSCO2 Pro patch made with full Kontakt run on Kontakt Player? Or will it load up as "demo" since it's not an original part of the library?

I think it would load fine if edited and saved, as many end users frequently make edits to the front UI panel settings and resave their files. It would be pretty mean if making changes and saving the file resulted in it being unusable.

Theoretically I think someone could also create user snapshots. I'm not sure they can preserve edits to sample start times, but it would be a way to share modifications to the files without risking undoing the encoding.

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - bigcat1969 - 05-06-2019

This pitch fix without messing anything else up?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dpisoh5p5m96ip2/S01_-_Violin_Section_-_Expr_Leg_Pitch_fix.nki/file

RE: VSCO2 Pro: First steps - Mattias Westlund - 05-06-2019

Not at my computer right now, but I will check later Smile