Scoring Central
Caves of Qud - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Off-topic (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Caves of Qud (/showthread.php?tid=541)

Caves of Qud - Nayrb - 02-02-2019

I'll jump on the random thread thing, too...

This past summer I became aware of a computer game called Caves of Qud that looked mighty interesting. I was holding off on buying it until it was done (one of those "early access" deals), and until I had some actual time to spend on playing games. Well, one night I was stranded at my parents' because of a blizzard and the beer selection was pretty inviting...

So now I have Caves of Qud, and boy am I'm I enjoying it. I don't know how many of you enjoy or have even played a "rogue-like" computer game, but this one is really cool and I recommend it to anyone who likes something that thinks outside the box and has some identity of its own. It's imaginative, immersive, and very atmospheric. Most rogue-likes, fun though they may be (my brother is a big proponent of Net-Hack, and I've spent a decent amount of time with Stone Soup Crawl and TOME), tend to just kind of kill you before you even get a chance to see what the world has to offer. Qud seems to reward experimentation a bit more (for instance, I'm some sort of plant-man and I've contracted several semi-useful fungal infections that do things like attack my enemies with spores and light up at night to help me see). Yes, I turned off permadeath because I'm a loser and I have other things to do besides get angry at video games; but even so if you start at the recommended place for beginners it's not quite as brutal as the descriptions made it out to be. Then again, like most rogue-likes, it's mostly procedurally generated... But still.

Another nice thing is that the game explains itself pretty well. If you have some experience with rogue-likes you will probably pick it up a little faster. But I by no means have much more than a semi-casual level of knowledge and I've been able to pick it up quickly.

In any case, I appreciate the developers' choice to create a world they wanted to create instead of one based entirely on tropes. Tropes are totally cool but that's a different tack entirely...

The music is pretty nice, too. Not symphonic but more a mix of ethnic and synth. I've only heard a few tracks so far, but it's just as idiosyncratic as the rest of the game.

RE: Caves of Qud - Michael Willis - 02-02-2019

I went to the web site and gave it a cursory read. This one sounds totally weird (in my vocabulary, "weird" is a complement of the highest order). A number of things about it seem to have a bit of a Dwarf Fortress flavor, albeit with plenty of other unfamiliar flavors mixed in, too.

RE: Caves of Qud - Nayrb - 02-03-2019

Weird is definitely an apt description (and in a positive sense). I need to check out Dwarf Fortress. That one has been on the list for awhile, too.

RE: Caves of Qud - Michael Willis - 02-03-2019

(02-03-2019, 12:34 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Weird is definitely an apt description (and in a positive sense). I need to check out Dwarf Fortress. That one has been on the list for awhile, too.

Yeah, I still don't dare try Dwarf Fortress. I have so little discretionary time available that I would never get any music made if I were pulled into that swirling vortex.

RE: Caves of Qud - Nayrb - 02-03-2019

(02-03-2019, 01:23 AM)Michael Willis Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 12:34 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Weird is definitely an apt description (and in a positive sense). I need to check out Dwarf Fortress. That one has been on the list for awhile, too.

Yeah, I still don't dare try Dwarf Fortress. I have so little discretionary time available that I would never get any music made if I were pulled into that swirling vortex.

I have very limited free time, as well. Though sometimes I find some gaming is what the doctor ordered as far as decompression is concerned.