Scoring Central
Strands of Darkness - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Off-topic (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Strands of Darkness (/showthread.php?tid=428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 10-30-2021

(10-29-2021, 07:55 PM)Nayrb Wrote: I've been sneaking fun reading as I've been working on this thesis, and I've still been reading the Black Company books. They are fun, but sometimes I also find that they just sort of gloss over atmosphere in favor of character intrigue and plot. It's really not bad, just a different style. But, yeah, sometimes it kills the mood a little. Erikson does the same thing, but then he'll throw something at you that just HAS to be a spectacle, like a huge mysterious statue or something. When you get those kinds of things, it makes up for the fact that the city is just "the city," or whatever.

Sanderson does pretty much just that. His characters are cardboard cutouts, his worldbuilding largely amounts to "oh, this is a thing btw", yet when the time comes to describe something that interests him he can spend five pages detailing how someone performs a feat of magic and how the whole underlying system works. Yes, it's a style and it isn't bad per se, it's just not my cup of tea. To me it feels like Sanderson focuses on the wrong things, making his worlds and the people inhabiting them feel like soulless constructs that only exist to forward the plot. I'm perfectly happy to read more terse prose but there needs to be balance in terms of what gets detailed descriptions and what doesn't, I think. Some flavor once in a while as opposed to just matter-of-fact statements is nice too. Like, I dunno, instead of At the mouth of the river was an ugly, run-down city, why not The city huddled at the mouth of the river like a kicked dog or something like that. SOMETHING.

(10-29-2021, 07:55 PM)Nayrb Wrote: I think as long as they don't write like Raymond E. Feist, it'll probably OK Big Grin

You know, I'm pretty sure I've read some book by Feist but I don't recall which one it was or what it was about. Isn't he the guy who wrote the story for Betrayal at Krondor? Whatever book I read, it obviously didn't make want me to check out the rest of his work.

(10-29-2021, 07:55 PM)Nayrb Wrote: Recently, I was in a SF mood, and I bought a book by Ben Bova (I work at a used bookstore, and with my employee discount, it's peanuts to take a chance on paperbacks). It was awful. I guess he was an influential editor, but that must have been his main skill. (So, if we're starting a list of authors to avoid, put him on there, ha!) Reason I bring that up is that I just hate it when there's some author with a lot of praise that I can't wait to check out, and then I'm unimpressed.

Yeah, I definitely feel that way about Sanderson. I'm not saying people should avoid him, I just expected more from someone in the upper echelon of fantasy literature. I'm not a huge fan of GRRM either, speaking of big names in modern fantasy, but at least the guy has a bit more flair to his storytelling.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Terry93D - 10-30-2021

(10-30-2021, 09:45 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Sanderson does pretty much just that. His characters are cardboard cutouts, his worldbuilding largely amounts to "oh, this is a thing btw", yet when the time comes to describe something that interests him he can spend five pages detailing how someone performs a feat of magic and how the whole underlying system works. Yes, it's a style and it isn't bad per se, it's just not my cup of tea. To me it feels like Sanderson focuses on the wrong things, making his worlds and the people inhabiting them feel like soulless constructs that only exist to forward the plot. I'm perfectly happy to read more terse prose but there needs to be balance in terms of what gets detailed descriptions and what doesn't, I think. Some flavor once in a while as opposed to just matter-of-facts statements is nice too. Like, I dunno, instead of At the mouth of the river was an ugly, run-down city, why not The city huddled at the mouth of the river like a kicked dog or something like that. SOMETHING.

This! I enjoyed Mistborn, and I think that the first trilogy is the strongest of what I've read of his, but it basically lays out his strengths and weaknesses that persist across each book: his two great strengths are worldbuilding and plotting, and if those are enough to carry one through clunky prose, rough dialogue, middling humor, and merely adequate characterization, then they're excellent books. But prose and characterization are two things I value very highly indeed. Strength in worldbuilding is something I don't care much for; but I value prose and characterization highly. That leaves plotting and that's just not enough to make me a Sanderson fan.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 10-31-2021

(10-30-2021, 10:14 PM)Terry93D Wrote: This! I enjoyed Mistborn, and I think that the first trilogy is the strongest of what I've read of his, but it basically lays out his strengths and weaknesses that persist across each book: his two great strengths are worldbuilding and plotting, and if those are enough to carry one through clunky prose, rough dialogue, middling humor, and merely adequate characterization, then they're excellent books. But prose and characterization are two things I value very highly indeed. Strength in worldbuilding is something I don't care much for; but I value prose and characterization highly. That leaves plotting and that's just not enough to make me a Sanderson fan.

Prose, characters and wordbuilding are probably what I value most in a fantasy novel. Not necessarily always in that order, but they all need to be there for me to enjoy a book. I don't require Tolkien/Lovecraft style flowery prose, but it needs to paint a picture and it needs to have a character onto itself. Hard to explain really; some writers have it and some don't. And some styles obviously appeal to others but not me.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 10-31-2021

For example, the thing that blew me away with Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice wasn't the fantasy world itself (it's a kind of low-key, traditional medieval thing IIRC), and it wasn't the characters per se (I honestly don't remember a lot about the protagonist), but the way the story was told was EVERYTHING. Same goes for Le Guin's Earthsea novels, or Moorcock's Elric books; it's not revolutionary fantasy all on its own, it's all variations on a theme . What sets them apart is the little details and the way the stories are told. Worldbuilding isn't just "coming up with things", it's conveying an idea to the reader in an interesting and believable way. And I would much rather have "meh" worldbuilding delivered in good prose than good worldbuilding presented in "meh" prose.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Nayrb - 10-31-2021

For me, my outlook is "everything works, if you do it right." I'm a big fan of the flowery stuff, like Lovecraft etc., but it's easy to do that entirely WRONG, and to be boring as hell. That's true of every approach. The more spartan stuff, like Cook and Erikson, is just more plot driven. If they don't do the plot-driven stuff right, it gets boring. I'm not sure what the hell Feist was trying to do with Betrayal at Krondor, but it was dumb and boring. It was based on an old computer game based on his world; but you know how some old computer games fired your imagination with their simplicity and made you think of your favorite novels? Yeah, it doesn't work seem to work well if you reverse it. Not to mention how the writing was just clunky to begin with: "James went up to the door. James picked the lock on the door. James tried the doorknob. James opened the door. Then everyone was back in the nondescript throne room looking at the king, who said, "why are there assassins in the sewers?" (Sorry, I just like picking on Feist, I guess).

I read the Earthsea books often. They're among my absolute favorites. I think Le Guin understood the balance between flowery and prosaic. She was a really, really good writer, who understood her craft through and through. She knew that she didn't need to go to great detail to make the world seem believable as long as she fed us the right stuff, which I think is sometimes the key to making a fantasy world appear organic and developed. I appreciate minute detail, but there's a delicate balance. I can smell both lazy whimsy and pseudo-complexity a mile away. It's a real skill to do be able to do a lot with either a very little or a whole lot. It's going to come down to the writer's abilities and rhetorical purpose, I guess.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Terry93D - 10-31-2021

(10-31-2021, 12:17 AM)Mattias Westlund Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 10:14 PM)Terry93D Wrote: This! I enjoyed Mistborn, and I think that the first trilogy is the strongest of what I've read of his, but it basically lays out his strengths and weaknesses that persist across each book: his two great strengths are worldbuilding and plotting, and if those are enough to carry one through clunky prose, rough dialogue, middling humor, and merely adequate characterization, then they're excellent books. But prose and characterization are two things I value very highly indeed. Strength in worldbuilding is something I don't care much for; but I value prose and characterization highly. That leaves plotting and that's just not enough to make me a Sanderson fan.
Prose, characters and wordbuilding are probably what I value most in a fantasy novel. Not necessarily always in that order, but they all need to be there for me to enjoy a book. I don't require Tolkien/Lovecraft style flowery prose, but it needs to paint a picture and it needs to have a character onto itself. Hard to explain really; some writers have it and some don't. And some styles obviously appeal to others but not me.

Worldbuilding is valuable to me to the precise and exact extent that it unlocks the characters and the plot. I dislike storytellers more interested in all the cool things they come up with in their world than in the characters that populate it, and Sanderson is unfortunately very guilty of that.

(10-31-2021, 04:31 AM)Nayrb Wrote: For me, my outlook is "everything works, if you do it right." I'm a big fan of the flowery stuff, like Lovecraft etc., but it's easy to do that entirely WRONG, and to be boring as hell. That's true of every approach. The more spartan stuff, like Cook and Erikson, is just more plot driven. If they don't do the plot-driven stuff right, it gets boring. I'm not sure what the hell Feist was trying to do with Betrayal at Krondor, but it was dumb and boring. It was based on an old computer game based on his world; but you know how some old computer games fired your imagination with their simplicity and made you think of your favorite novels? Yeah, it doesn't work seem to work well if you reverse it. Not to mention how the writing was just clunky to begin with: "James went up to the door. James picked the lock on the door. James tried the doorknob. James opened the door. Then everyone was back in the nondescript throne room looking at the king, who said, "why are there assassins in the sewers?" (Sorry, I just like picking on Feist, I guess).

I read the Earthsea books often. They're among my absolute favorites. I think Le Guin understood the balance between flowery and prosaic. She was a really, really good writer, who understood her craft through and through. She knew that she didn't need to go to great detail to make the world seem believable as long as she fed us the right stuff, which I think is sometimes the key to making a fantasy world appear organic and developed. I appreciate minute detail, but there's a delicate balance. I can smell both lazy whimsy and pseudo-complexity a mile away. It's a real skill to do be able to do a lot with either a very little or a whole lot. It's going to come down to the writer's abilities and rhetorical purpose, I guess.

That's roughly my outlook, at least in prose and plotting terms, with allowance for my characters-over-worldbuilding preference and for individual taste. (I haven't read Earthsea yet but I own the giant illustrated edition of all of the books that came out a couple years ago. I'll get to it one day!)

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 11-01-2021

(10-31-2021, 04:31 AM)Nayrb Wrote: For me, my outlook is "everything works, if you do it right."

That is very true.

(10-31-2021, 04:31 AM)Nayrb Wrote: It was based on an old computer game based on his world; but you know how some old computer games fired your imagination with their simplicity and made you think of your favorite novels? Yeah, it doesn't work seem to work well if you reverse it.

I was actually referring to the game, I didn't even know there was a book as well. IIRC the idea of a well-known writer providing the story for a computer game was something quite remarkable back then. Of course, the game wasn't particularly good, and apparently the book wasn't either Smile

(10-31-2021, 04:31 AM)Nayrb Wrote: I read the Earthsea books often. They're among my absolute favorites. I think Le Guin understood the balance between flowery and prosaic. She was a really, really good writer, who understood her craft through and through. She knew that she didn't need to go to great detail to make the world seem believable as long as she fed us the right stuff, which I think is sometimes the key to making a fantasy world appear organic and developed. I appreciate minute detail, but there's a delicate balance. I can smell both lazy whimsy and pseudo-complexity a mile away. It's a real skill to do be able to do a lot with either a very little or a whole lot. It's going to come down to the writer's abilities and rhetorical purpose, I guess.

Big +1 on Le Guin. She's one of my absolute favorite writers as well, and I count the Earthsea books as some of the finest fantasy ever written. They sort of proved that the genre could be more than machismo and monsters and swashbuckling adventure.

I've probably said this before, but if you like Le Guin you should really check out Patricia A. McKillip's Riddle Master books, which are very similar in tone and style, while still being their own thing.

Edit: ...similar to the Earthsea novels, that is. Le Guin wrote a ton of stuff, a lot of it sci-fi.

(10-31-2021, 06:59 PM)Terry93D Wrote: Worldbuilding is valuable to me to the precise and exact extent that it unlocks the characters and the plot. I dislike storytellers more interested in all the cool things they come up with in their world than in the characters that populate it, and Sanderson is unfortunately very guilty of that.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I would like to read his books--to be able to say that I've actually read a few of them if nothing else--but it feels like they're fighting me every step of the way.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Nayrb - 11-02-2021

(11-01-2021, 11:40 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Big +1 on Le Guin. She's one of my absolute favorite writers as well, and I count the Earthsea books as some of the finest fantasy ever written. They sort of proved that the genre could be more than machismo and monsters and swashbuckling adventure.

I've probably said this before, but if you like Le Guin you should really check out Patricia A. McKillip's Riddle Master books, which are very similar in tone and style, while still being their own thing.

Edit: ...similar to the Earthsea novels, that is. Le Guin wrote a ton of stuff, a lot of it sci-fi.

I will have to check her stuff out. And yes, Le Guin's SF is good stuff, too. The Dispossessed is excellent. Left Hand of Darkness is great, too, though I got sidetracked from reading it awhile back. Need to get back to it.

Has anyone read any Patrick Rothfuss? I keep hearing that The Name of the Wind is really good, but it flies off the shelves whenever we get a copy in at the store.

And by the way, a new Tad Williams novella set in Osten Ard comes out tomorrow! Too bad my store probably won't be getting any copies in until someone sells us a used one. I'm looking forward to reading that.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 11-02-2021

Speaking of classic fantasy books and Sanderson, I'm both expectant and apprehensive of the Wheel of Time series that will premiere on Amazon Prime in a couple of weeks. With the final season of Game of Thrones and Netflix's The Witcher still vivid in my mind, I'm 90% sure this is going to be just pure money-wasting garbage that will be cancelled after a couple of seasons, much like that Shannara TV show.

At the same time, I hope that it will be good, and I hope that it will succeed. Jordan's books, much like Tolkien's, need a modern, refreshed take on them to be appreciated by a bigger audience. There's gold in there for sure, but also a ton of lore-wanking that gets in the way of telling an engaging story. If the show can find the right balance between the two, it might just be what the world has been waiting for after the sad demise of GoT.

Yeah, OK, I'm not holding my breath.

RE: Strands of Darkness - Mattias Westlund - 11-02-2021

(11-02-2021, 02:34 AM)Nayrb Wrote: And yes, Le Guin's SF is good stuff, too. The Dispossessed is excellent. Left Hand of Darkness is great, too, though I got sidetracked from reading it awhile back. Need to get back to it.

I have read several of them, though I'm not familiar with the original titles. It was a long time ago. I discovered the sci-fi section of my local library in fifth grade, and I read a number of her SF books before discovering Earthsea. I have a very persistent memory of one with some kind of woodland aliens who fight off an offworld invasion force that are obviously humans.

(11-02-2021, 02:34 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Has anyone read any Patrick Rothfuss? I keep hearing that The Name of the Wind is really good, but it flies off the shelves whenever we get a copy in at the store.

Never heard of I'm afraid, but I'm out of the loop and stuck in my ways.

(11-02-2021, 02:34 AM)Nayrb Wrote: And by the way, a new Tad Williams novella set in Osten Ard comes out tomorrow! Too bad my store probably won't be getting any copies in until someone sells us a used one. I'm looking forward to reading that.

My TW backlog keeps growing and growing. I haven't read anything of his since the Shadowmarch books, and that was, what, 15-20 years ago now? I really love the guy though. I follow him on social media and he seems like such a humble, funny, creative guy. His regular readings are fantastic.