Scoring Central
Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Music (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: User Music (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] (/showthread.php?tid=415)

Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Mattias Westlund - 06-30-2018

Sometimes I find myself longing back to simpler times, when all I had was 16 midi channels and a limited assortment of cheesy synth sounds to populate them.

Road to Adventure (WIP)

This was done with the Yamaha S-YXG50, a VSTi version of the S-YXG50 software synth I used quite extensively back in the day. It may be nostalgia speaking, but I still think Yamaha XG sounds pretty damn great for being basically a souped-up version of the GM standard. And the S-YXG50 itself is impressive for being a 20 year old software synth -- that's a 4MB ROM and the built-in reverb BTW!

I really, really need to get myself an XG sound module. I miss this stuff.

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Samulis - 06-30-2018

Haha wow, that actually sounds shockingly good for 4 MB. That piccolo around 36 seconds was actually sort of impressive. I guess it is a wavetable system, and you can get some amazing results in tiny amounts of space with wavetables (Christoph Hart made the mother of all wavetable clarinets with 127 cross-fading velocity layers and I guess it's only a few megs).

Nice theme, by the way- would make a fantastic game theme. Reminds me slightly of the Seaquest DSV theme in the style of orchestration and that whole "school" of film music from the mid-90's-
https://youtu.be/npTSfOM48aw?t=9

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Mattias Westlund - 07-01-2018

Yup, it's a wavetable synth. All you get is an attack portion with a looped single-cycle sustain pahse on top of that. Primitive to say the least, but most instruments do their job quite nicely -- insofar that you can tell that it's supposed to be a clarinet or a strings section or whatever. My least favorite part in this is the flute which appears to have like one sample per octave, so in the lower range it sounds nothing like a flute at all when you don't get that breathy chiff attack.

Still, arranging for this old stuff feels kind of like coming home after a long journey. And it's amazing how creative you can get from limiting yourself technically. I most certainly wouldn't have come up with this using more modern orchestral libraries!

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Nayrb - 07-02-2018

The first minute or so reminds me of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys Big Grin

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Mattias Westlund - 07-03-2018

(07-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Nayrb Wrote: The first minute or so reminds me of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys Big Grin

I had to pop over to Youtube and listen to it, it's been probably 20 years since I watched that show. And yes, there are some slight similarities. That's a nice theme though! IIRC the rest of the show wasn't of the same quality Big Grin

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Nayrb - 07-03-2018

(07-03-2018, 11:44 AM)Mattias Westlund Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Nayrb Wrote: The first minute or so reminds me of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys Big Grin

I had to pop over to Youtube and listen to it, it's been probably 20 years since I watched that show. And yes, there are some slight similarities. That's a nice theme though! IIRC the rest of the show wasn't of the same quality Big Grin

That's true! Although I admit I enjoy those shows for their intentional silliness. I re-watched a bunch of it on TV recently and realized that as a kid I thought it was much more serious than it actually is.

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Mattias Westlund - 07-03-2018

I remember there being quite strong comedic element -- as always with stuff from Sam Raimi -- as well as a lot of references to contemporary things. I don't recall whether it was Hercules or Xena, but I strongly remember a weird one-off episode where all the main characters had been reincarnated in modern times. Ares was some sort of survivalist/gun nut character IIRC Smile

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Nayrb - 07-04-2018

(07-03-2018, 02:55 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: I remember there being quite strong comedic element -- as always with stuff from Sam Raimi -- as well as a lot of references to contemporary things. I don't recall whether it was Hercules or Xena, but I strongly remember a weird one-off episode where all the main characters had been reincarnated in modern times. Ares was some sort of survivalist/gun nut character IIRC Smile

I think there were more than a few like that, and they were usually pretty funny, especially when Bruce Campbell made an appearance.

RE: Road to Adventure [Yamaha S-YXG50] - Mattias Westlund - 12-01-2018

Same track, though finished and running on a Yamaha Waveforce 192XG sound card instead of software: