Scoring Central
VCSL - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Samples & Sample libraries (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: VCSL (/showthread.php?tid=369)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: VCSL - Mattias Westlund - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 09:25 PM)Samulis Wrote: Hey man, my aerophones are your aerophones!  Big Grin

Are aerophones made by aerosmiths?

RE: VCSL - Samulis - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 09:27 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 08:54 PM)Samulis Wrote: Sample yourself anyway! There's no way to learn this stuff except by doing it and experimenting with different methods.  Big Grin

Definitely true. And even a moderate attention to detail, consistency and sound quality goes a long way. You might initially think that all your takes sound like crap, but once you have split everything into separate notes, mapped said notes in your sampler, tuned them and adjusted attacks and releases... you will find that it sounds a whole lot better than you thought it would.

I sampled and mapped a whole bunch of small percussion instruments last weekend. Even though I didn't spend a ton of time playing each instrument (adjusting room acoustics with foam mattresses and blankets, as well as mic positioning, took faaar longer) I got some really decent results. The whole experience made me want to sample more live instruments.

Be careful, I hear that desire is infectious. Soon you might be going to found a company, haha.  Wink

Certainly good advice! I have had some instruments I thought sounded horrible come out great, and some I thought sound great come out horrible. Just goes to show!

RE: VCSL - Mattias Westlund - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 09:34 PM)Samulis Wrote: Be careful, I hear that desire is infectious. Soon you might be going to found a company, haha.  Wink

Well I don't know about that, but I've found myself thinking when browsing freesound for this or that obscure instrument (or other!) sample: oh come on, hasn't ANYONE thought to sample that? Which makes me think that the more stuff you sample the better. Who knows, for someone else those wok pans I just sampled on a whim might just be exactly what they're looking for?

(03-23-2018, 09:34 PM)Samulis Wrote: Certainly good advice! I have had some instruments I thought sounded horrible come out great, and some I thought sound great come out horrible. Just goes to show!

Definitely relatable! I have a whole bunch of Irish whistles that I've been meaning to sample properly for ten years now. Through a mic they just never sound like they do in person. That breathy, ethereal sound turns into a harsh earsore no matter what you do.

RE: VCSL - Michael Willis - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 08:54 PM)Samulis Wrote: Sample yourself anyway! There's no way to learn this stuff except by doing it and experimenting with different methods.  Big Grin

Ha, I think I got scared by the `Third Party Contributions` section on the github page, with specifications about ideally using a NOS stereo array; I've only ever recorded in mono. To somebody unfamiliar with the vernacular like me it wasn't clear what you meant by "unless idiomatic".

RE: VCSL - bigcat1969 - 03-23-2018

I'm pretty sure I was called idiomatic once.

Hum might have messed this all up Sam. Don't think I've ever done a harmonica before? Can't remember which is kinda scary.
Wasn't sure what to do with the release samples, never been that good at release samples. Might be too soft or too loud.
Cut some of the breath from the front of some of the normal samples, not sure if that is good or bad.
Anyway call it Take 1.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/doyb22dh6olil03/VCSL_20_Special_Harmonica.zip

RE: VCSL - Samulis - 03-23-2018

(03-23-2018, 10:24 PM)Michael Willis Wrote:

Ha, I think I got scared by the `Third Party Contributions` section on the github page, with specifications about ideally using a NOS stereo array; I've only ever recorded in mono. To somebody unfamiliar with the vernacular like me it wasn't clear what you meant by "unless idiomatic".

Some instruments are traditionally recorded mono regularly, such as a solo vocalist or electric guitar through an amp. For others (e.g. flute, trombone, etc.) it's desirable to have it all recorded in stereo in a similar fashion to the rest of the collection. I personally like NOS and I think it's a great pattern to start out with, although AB is also quite easy, it requires more tuning and adjustment to get right (often people go too wide, and I have been as guilty as anyone else of this). Stereo recording can be quite easy with some cheap small diaphragm condensers. As part of that video series I'm working on, I'll try to go over some super-budget mics that may be of interest. I subscribed to the B&H (electronics store out of NY) daily special sale, and about once a month or so they put some mics on sale, often some really cheap Chinese thing, but for like $20 a piece. I'm sure they're not very good and probably have a high noise floor, but hey, if you're just getting going, don't have a budget beyond what's in your wallet, and need a stereo recording, why not? I started off using a set of borrowed SM-57's and assorted random mics that were in the auditorium mic closet.

The idea behind the collection is to have a set of quality samples that people can go to, something folks will have a harder time complaining about than VSCO 2 CE, which despite all the good it's done, has given me a whole lot of grief every time I try to do a google search for it and get pages of forum posts of people complaining about every part of the library- this too wide, that to narrow, this too coarse, this too bright, a click in this sample, a breath in that. I just get tired of hearing all of this, so I figured I would make something that I can keep building on and replace things if they don't work out, rather than VSCO 2 CE, which was always sort of "fixed" since launch because of its affiliation with its big brothers. Part of this is making sure the contributions to the collection mesh well with the others from the get-go, so that's why those criteria are kind of specific, so if someone wants to record something for it, there's a suggested starting point. Obviously if something isn't what is suggested but sounds good, I won't say no.  Tongue

(03-23-2018, 10:29 PM)bigcat1969 Wrote: I'm pretty sure I was called idiomatic once.

Hum might have messed this all up Sam. Don't think I've ever done a harmonica before? Can't remember which is kinda scary.
Wasn't sure what to do with the release samples, never been that good at release samples. Might be too soft or too loud.
Cut some of the breath from the front of some of the normal samples, not sure if that is good or bad.
Anyway call it Take 1.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aamvwgby0hp5zy8/VSCL_20_Special_Harmonica_Kontakt.zip

Came out nice, I think! I'm really happy with how the vibrato sounds when playing slow melodies, even if it's perhaps not the proper technique. As always, your call in how you want to treat the samples. Smile

RE: VCSL - bigcat1969 - 03-23-2018

Thanks Sam. I just like your input, same as the recording engineers probably ask Pavarotti what he thought of the session master recording. ;P Of course to be fair I've been known to completely ignore your advice and turn the samples from Pavarotti into Justin Beiber so there is that.

Oh and VSCO2 rocks and plenty of the fault is my implementation not your sampling I suspect. Anyway with 50,000 to 100,000 downloads someone isn't gonna like something. Trust me the people loving it and thanking God and you for it far outweigh anything else.

RE: VCSL - bigcat1969 - 03-24-2018

Come somebody say something. I killed more threads...
Interesting Steinway in hear if you like the pianos.

RE: VCSL - Samulis - 03-24-2018

(03-24-2018, 04:26 AM)bigcat1969 Wrote: Come somebody say something. I killed more threads...
Interesting Steinway in hear if you like the pianos.

I think it is more that most people are sleeping right now.  Big Grin

Yes, it's quite a nice piano! I hope people enjoy it.

RE: VCSL - bigcat1969 - 03-24-2018

Can't believe I already got the acronym wrong. Corrected that and gave a little sneak peak on VI-Control with the harmonica.

Thanks for including sustain and non-sustain samples. That is rare in a piano.

I used my Kontakt version of Summer Piano to rip out the samples and remake with this piano since it also had sustain and release groups already. Update it to the current convo script and start playing. I'm thinking nice sampling Sam but man there is a lot of room in this thing. Look at the instrument setting and for some unknown reason I'd included a convo in Instrument SendFX on the Summer! Yeah two convo reverbs. Once fixed it sounds quite nice.

https://soundcloud.com/bigcat1969/jh-piano-butterfly