Scoring Central
Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Samples & Sample libraries (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Mod Wheel Control of SSO (/showthread.php?tid=325)

Pages: 1 2

Mod Wheel Control of SSO - jmcmillan - 12-05-2017

I'm probably way late to the game, but...if anyone is interested some simple code changes can add mod wheel control to SSO SFZ sustain and/or solo patches. Doing so allows for live "playing in" of volume and some timbre changes to be able to play in the expression, crescendos and other small variations for more realism.

Basic logic for modifications:
-Remove key velocity effect on volume (amp_veltrack=0) -this is default "=100" if not listed, so "=0" removes the control
-Add mod wheel effect on volume (amplitude_oncc1=100)

On patches with an lpf effect (mostly the brass patches)
-Remove key velocity effect on lpf cutoff (fil_veltrack=***)
-Add mod wheel effect on lpf cutoff (cutoff_cc1=7200)
-Keep the original cutoff frequency opcode!

On patches with attack effect:
-Remove key velocity attack adjustment (ampeg_vel2attack=-***)
-Add attack adjustment to the modwheel (ampeg_attackcc1=-***)

If interested, I can post the code modifications and some demos.

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Otto Halmén - 12-05-2017

Don't forget to include smoothing opcodes (e.g. amplitude_smoothcc1=500) for CC-bound parameters. Wink

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - jmcmillan - 12-05-2017

IYep I’m a noob...I can kinda guess what that opcode does...but not sure what the “500” does? Where can I read up on some of these?

When googling ...found some forum posts about custom control curves also...

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Otto Halmén - 12-06-2017

See the SFZ 2.0 test suite (which sort of doubles as a tutorial) and Sam's SFZ link collection. Smile

The smooth opcode does exactly what you think it does, i.e. causes the parameter to glide smoothly towards the destination whenever the CC changes. Since a CC is rather coarse and only has 127 possible values, binding something directly to it would result in audible clicks and/or bumps whenever it changes. Hence the smoothing. Smile

As to the number, my best guess is that it's the glide time in milliseconds. I found that a big number (in the hundreds) helps with getting really smooth dynamic swells. If you just want to eliminate clicks, something like 30 ms might be enough, though. Smile

As to custom control curves, I only just started experimenting with them myself, but I'm fairly certain it's just simple re-mapping of CC values. Smile

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Chris Spyratos - 12-06-2017

You can also have may layers of dynamics playing together, and crossfade through them with the xfin, xfout opcodes.
I have my drum rolls like that.

I didn't know about the "smooth" though. I have to try it because sometimes my automations need fine-tuning in order to sound realistic.

Some kind of arcane knowledge this SFZ thing.

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - jmcmillan - 12-06-2017

Thanks for the links! I have read through all of them and learned more. I also learned this SFZ thing is indeed arcane knowledge!  I not to far down the rabbit hole, but falling fast Big Grin

I think maybe Garritan is the major player in SFZ? It seems learning SFZ is basically pulling together different bits and pieces from various documents along with reverse engineering Plogue/Aria patches. 

My goal is pretty simple. I’d like to use free samples but enhance their playability (mod wheel velocity, timbre, etc.) to produce music that is a little more realistic. I’d to avoid editing automation curves after the fact or at least not have to edit too much, preferring to play in the expression. If I can make some decent music with this, then I’ll feel good about going in and spending money on libraries, better computer, etc. 

I think if I can figure out the smooth_cc stuff I might be done. I don’t want to invest too much time in sample patch programming and more time making music! But I’m all ears on other simple op codes to add to patches for some added realism.

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Samulis - 12-06-2017

It's worse than that, both Garritan/Plogue and Cakewalk are major players and they each have added their own parts over the SFZ 1.0 base.

The attack opcodes are probably best controlled by key velocity, as how hard you press a key is a very tactile way of controlling the attack of something.

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - jmcmillan - 12-06-2017

Since this is just for me I think I’ll stick with Aria/Garritan.
Just curious, is it easier to use TX16, Grace or another sampler to make sample patches?

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Otto Halmén - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 09:52 PM)jmcmillan Wrote: Since this is just for me I think I’ll stick with Aria/Garritan.
Just curious, is it easier to use TX16, Grace or another sampler to make sample patches?

Certainly, pretty much anything with a graphical mapping editor is easier. Editing text files is error-prone and makes your eyes hurt. You should probably make some kind of check list with features (e.g. disk streaming, tail samples, sample compression, round robin, etc.) you think you'll need for your mappings as you start trying out the options. Smile

The reason I personally stick to SFZ is that Aria/Sforzando lets you optimize for lower-end systems and especially for slow hard drives. For example, it has a rather efficient FLAC decoder. A FLAC sample library cuts the disk access load in half at the expense of a slight increase in CPU load. Smile

RE: Mod Wheel Control of SSO - Chris Spyratos - 12-07-2017

(12-06-2017, 09:52 PM)jmcmillan Wrote: Since this is just for me I think I’ll stick with Aria/Garritan.
Just curious, is it easier to use TX16, Grace or another sampler  to make sample patches?

You cannot save sfz's in TX16Wx unfortunately!