Scoring Central
2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: General (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Sample & Software News (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra (/showthread.php?tid=193)

Pages: 1 2

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - kneedeep - 03-21-2017

Pretty darn impressive work Paul. Can't find much wrong with it. The brass sound fine now. Love the looped solo woodwinds. Strings pretty darn nice as well. Love the spiccato and tremolo stuff. Love the harp patches.

Yay, vibraphone! Would love some more of the esoteric type percussion instruments, like celeste, dulcimer, harpsichord, marimba and such. Percussion section seems a little bare.

I probably prefer the various percussion patch from SSO simply because it gives me everything on one MIDI keyboard neatly laid out. I would also prefer the timpani hits and rolls on the same patch. Kinda miss the SSO timpanis and solo violin.

Your library has an overall relatively restrained "beautiful" sound to it, perhaps less aggressive sounding than some of the stuff in SSO, but it's definitely pretty orchestral sounding.

Well done. Thank you for your work.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-22-2017

(03-21-2017, 10:34 PM)oGatoulas Wrote: Thank you very much Paul for your efforts

You're welcome.

(03-21-2017, 10:34 PM)oGatoulas Wrote: I cannot get the normal-mod-wheel to work in TX16Wx as in sforzando. If anyone uses Reaper like me and has experience with this I would be grateful!

I tried using TX16Wx with Reaper to see if I could solve your problem. I had no luck. Out of the box TX16Wx seems to add reverb which I was unable to turn off. At the very least, the instrument I tried, sounded different when compared to the same instrument in Sforzando and it appears to me that you have to configure the mod wheel in the TX16Wx for it to work although all of my efforts to do so, failed.

Just in case it needs to be said, the mod wheel is only supported for the "normal-mod-wheel" patches.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: Pretty darn impressive work Paul.
Thanks.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: Love the looped solo woodwinds.

The original short woodwind samples are what motivated me to loop everything.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: Yay, vibraphone! Would love some more of the esoteric type percussion instruments, like celeste, dulcimer, harpsichord, marimba and such. Percussion section seems a little bare.

I've considered keeping a main library and a collection of extras as separate downloads. I might look into the things you listed in the future.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: I probably prefer the various percussion patch from SSO simply because it gives me everything on one MIDI keyboard neatly laid out.

I separated them the way I did, because it occurred to me maybe someone wants to just use snare, bass drum and cymbals without needing to load all the other little percussion instruments as well, or maybe someone wants the other percussion but doesn't need snare, bass drum cymbals.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: I would also prefer the timpani hits and rolls on the same patch.

If you don't mind using key switches you can use the timpani-KS-C5.sfz patch, but since it's easy, perhaps I should have included a version with hits at the low end of the keyboard and rolls at the top.

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: Your library has an overall relatively restrained "beautiful" sound to it, perhaps less aggressive sounding than some of the stuff in SSO,

Not sure why that is. The SSO stuff, except in some cases with reduced reverb, should sound about the same and the rest came from different sources so they will sound a little different of course, but I've done nothing to intentionally alter the sound of any sample (except click/noise removal and pitch correction).

(03-21-2017, 10:55 PM)kneedeep Wrote: but it's definitely pretty orchestral sounding.

Thanks!

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - kneedeep - 03-22-2017

I guess it must be the slightly different mix of samples that affects the overall sound.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Orte Pigi - 03-23-2017

Thank you so much for your efforts. The brass sounds really great now. Looped patches is pretty ok too. But however, there is not enough percussion. Btw NBO has a greatest sfz tambourine. It's sounds real good, little bit punchy and metallic. Anyway New Horizon Orchestra has a pretty nice Piatti samples, sounds clear and open. Maybe you can contact the author of this pack. And what about G-Town church samples? It has a nice metal patch, some cymbals, toms, huge bass drum, sticks and brushplate

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-23-2017

(03-22-2017, 09:38 PM)kneedeep Wrote: I guess it must be the slightly different mix of samples that affects the overall sound.

Although, I did make adjustments to the attack on various samples to help differentiate between the sustain and "normal" and accented patches.

Anyway, I hope it all sounds good and like it was a single orchestra in the same room at the same time.

(03-23-2017, 11:29 AM)Orte Pigi Wrote: But however, there is not enough percussion. Btw NBO has a greatest sfz tambourine. It's sounds real good, little bit punchy and metallic. Anyway New Horizon Orchestra has a pretty nice Piatti samples, sounds clear and open. Maybe you can contact the author of this pack. And what about G-Town church samples? It has a nice metal patch, some cymbals, toms, huge bass drum, sticks and brushplate

I'll save this list of suggestions and check these things out when it's time for a new update to the library, or maybe I can offer them as an additional percussion download at some point in the future.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Orte Pigi - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 12:48 PM)Paul Battersby Wrote: I'll save this list of suggestions and check these things out when it's time for a new update to the library, or maybe I can offer them as an additional percussion download at some point in the future.

Yay! That would be very cool Smile Thank you Paul once again

UPD: I also recommended VPO to some friends and they are still happy with this. So let the world hear about this library

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - peastman - 03-23-2017

If you ever find yourself looking for organ samples, check out https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/samplesets/Sample%20Sets/.  Actually, it's kind of amazing how many organ sample sets are out there.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-25-2017

(03-23-2017, 02:06 PM)Orte Pigi Wrote: So let the world hear about this library

I've spread the word where I can in the forums where I'm registered but what I need is for people on other forums, forums for DAWs besides Reaper (the one I use), to share the link to my sample library.

(03-23-2017, 09:09 PM)peastman Wrote: If you ever find yourself looking for organ samples, check out https://sourceforge.net/p/ourorgan/samplesets/Sample%20Sets/.  Actually, it's kind of amazing how many organ sample sets are out there.

That's another instrument where I'd probably just link to external organ samples rather than include it in the library.

I may eventually create a page for additional downloads where I'd link to things like a piano, organ, perhaps additional percussion.