Scoring Central
2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: General (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Sample & Software News (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra (/showthread.php?tid=193)

Pages: 1 2

2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-20-2017

Version 2.0 of Virtual Playing Orchestra - free orchestral sample library, is now available.

Changes include:

- all sustain samples now looped
- improved brass instruments
- reduced noise in tremolo samples
- many small improvements (see change log)

Virtual Playing Orchestra 2.0 

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - peastman - 03-20-2017

Yay! But when I click the download link, I get a "Bad Request Error 400" message. I know, I shouldn't be complaining about minor details like that, but still... Wink

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Michael Willis - 03-20-2017

I kept trying to write my feedback on this, but lost it twice as my browser was closed before I finished both times, and apparently I haven't learned how to use the "Save as Draft" feature. I'll try to summarize:
  • I spot checked it on LinuxSampler, everything that I tested worked just fine.
  • The new tremolo sounds are fantastic, much more clear but still very turbulent.
  • I'm loving the adjusted split point on the brass instruments, this will help a lot with my current project that has a delicate brass part.
  • The other adjustments seem sensible.
  • I'm curious about the choice to add the vibraphone, which strikes me as being more of a smooth lounge music instrument. I'm not opposed, just curious.
Thanks so much for all your work on this! I'm really excited to incorporate your changes into my normal project template.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-20-2017

(03-20-2017, 10:19 PM)peastman Wrote: Yay!  But when I click the download link, I get a "Bad Request Error 400" message.  I know, I shouldn't be complaining about minor details like that, but still... Wink

Sadly, it doesn't matter how careful I am, some problem can still sneak through.

The download link should work now. Note that there are actually 3 randomly provided links. If one doesn't work, reload the page to try the random number generator and maybe you'll get another link, but they should all work now (although I thought that earlier too) Dodgy

(03-20-2017, 10:44 PM)Michael Willis Wrote:
  • I spot checked it on LinuxSampler, everything that I tested worked just fine.
  • The new tremolo sounds are fantastic, much more clear but still very turbulent.
  • I'm loving the adjusted split point on the brass instruments, this will help a lot with my current project that has a delicate brass part.
  • The other adjustments seem sensible.
  • I'm curious about the choice to add the vibraphone, which strikes me as being more of a smooth lounge music instrument. I'm not opposed, just curious.
Thanks so much for all your work on this! I'm really excited to incorporate your changes into my normal project template.

Glad this still works in Linux sampler. The file path issues from the past were unlikely to be a problem this time.

As for the vibraphone, I heard it used in some orchestral piece so I thought I'd add it. There is no need to loop vibraphone samples so it was easy to add. Samulis pointed out that the vibraphone in the pre-release of 2.0, had an unrealistic slow attack built into the samples. I replaced that vibraphone with a marginally better one in the official release (and created round robin hits). It will still benefit from a compressor to enhance the metallic hit of the otherwise missing transient.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - bigcat1969 - 03-21-2017

Oops sorry about posting on Cockos. Didn't mean to steal your thunder.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-21-2017

(03-21-2017, 04:11 AM)bigcat1969 Wrote: Oops sorry about posting on Cockos. Didn't mean to steal your thunder.

No problem. I appreciate you spreading the word. I had already posted my thread there about 40 minutes earlier and I found myself answering the same question in both threads. If you had posted first, I would simply have used your thread and not posted my own.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - bigcat1969 - 03-21-2017

No I'm glad you went with an official thread. I had just answered a question from someone who was having trouble finding or with the sfz VSCO2 Double Bass (not sure which) and ask for recommendations, so I mentioned VPO and went to check it. Then I noticed 2 was officially out and got excited and posted without looking to see you had already done so.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Paul Battersby - 03-21-2017

(03-21-2017, 01:42 PM)bigcat1969 Wrote: ... I noticed 2 was officially out and got excited

I like that enthusiasm. Big Grin

It's how I felt when Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra was first released.

Please feel free to spread the word about Virtual Playing Orchestra.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - kneedeep - 03-21-2017

Grabbing it right now.

RE: 2.0 Virtual Playing Orchestra - Chris Spyratos - 03-21-2017

Thank you very much Paul for your efforts, also all the people who contributed. I am testing the library now and I plan to create my working template with this!
I am using TX16Wx instead of sforzando in order to have multiple instances of instruments with their articulations. However I cannot get the normal-mod-wheel to work in TX16Wx as in sforzando. If anyone uses Reaper like me and has experience with this I would be grateful!