Scoring Central
Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Printable Version

+- Scoring Central (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net)
+-- Forum: Technology (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Samples & Sample libraries (http://scoringcentral.mattiaswestlund.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts (/showthread.php?tid=155)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Samulis - 03-13-2019

(03-12-2019, 10:54 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote: Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Worth a try though!

It all seemed very corporate/bureaucratic from the websites. I wouldn't be surprised if I sent that e-mail to an account no one checks or something.  Rolleyes

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - PPH - 05-23-2019

Thay are still selling them. In fact, I recently bought them for $4 each (strings, woodwinds, brass). The samples themselves sound good.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Kaustav Acharya - 08-08-2019

Couldn't resist buying the SONiVOX Film Score Companion at the price of $19.99 at JRR https://www.jrrshop.com/sonivox-film-score-companion

Includes these libraries:
  • Orchestral Companion Brass
  • Orchestral Companion Strings
  • Orchestral Companion Woodwinds
  • Eighty Eight Ensemble
  • Big Bang Cinematic Percussion
The Big Band Cinematic Percussion samples are not encrypted and there are a LOT of samples there. Worth checking out I guess.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Nayrb - 08-09-2019

(08-08-2019, 03:06 PM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Couldn't resist buying the SONiVOX Film Score Companion at the price of $19.99 at JRR https://www.jrrshop.com/sonivox-film-score-companion

Includes these libraries:
  • Orchestral Companion Brass
  • Orchestral Companion Strings
  • Orchestral Companion Woodwinds
  • Eighty Eight Ensemble
  • Big Bang Cinematic Percussion
The Big Band Cinematic Percussion samples are not encrypted and there are a LOT of samples there. Worth checking out I guess.

Cool. Probably not a bad buy for that price, even for all the griping we've done here Big Grin 

How are the winds? I was really frustrated by the demo when I tried it years ago. It was basically broken. I'm finding, however, that I'd like to enhance my bass clarinet and contrabassoon, given that the stock Kontakt samples I'm using are abbreviated (they do not include the full range of the instruments). If the contrabassoon in the Orchestral Companion library is decent it might not be a bad investment if I can grab it on one of those sales when it's $5 or whatever.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Mattias Westlund - 08-10-2019

(08-09-2019, 02:30 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Cool. Probably not a bad buy for that price, even for all the griping we've done here Big Grin 

No that's a good deal actually. There's nothing wrong with the samples, I mainly have an issue with the way they're packaged and the regular asking price. I wish all the samples were unencrypted though!

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Kaustav Acharya - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 07:48 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote:
(08-09-2019, 02:30 AM)Nayrb Wrote: Cool. Probably not a bad buy for that price, even for all the griping we've done here Big Grin 

No that's a good deal actually. There's nothing wrong with the samples, I mainly have an issue with the way they're packaged and the regular asking price. I wish all the samples were unencrypted though!

Are the samples from other commercial sample libraries like Spitfire, 8Dio etc. not encrypted usually?

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Mattias Westlund - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 08:45 PM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Are the samples from other commercial sample libraries like Spitfire, 8Dio etc. not encrypted usually?

They probably all are nowadays. I'm just longing back to a time when you could get your sample libraries in different formats, or just plain wave files you could map in whatever sampler of your choice. The Sonivox libraries clearly illustrate the problem of being locked into an encrypted proprietary format/sample player.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Nayrb - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 09:05 PM)Mattias Westlund Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 08:45 PM)Kaustav Acharya Wrote: Are the samples from other commercial sample libraries like Spitfire, 8Dio etc. not encrypted usually?

They probably all are nowadays. I'm just longing back to a time when you could get your sample libraries in different formats, or just plain wave files you could map in whatever sampler of your choice. The Sonivox libraries clearly illustrate the problem of being locked into an encrypted proprietary format/sample player.

I agree. I like a nice, ready to go Kontakt patch, or some such; but I like to have the option to map my own patches.

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Nayrb - 08-12-2019

Well, I too decided to give it a go. I saw that Best Service was offering the Woodwinds for $4.50. For that price I figured I could at least see if the contrabassoon offered anything over my current samples. The only other option I've found at the moment is the Westgate Studios library. $50 isn't a bad price; but if I can get away with spending only 10% of that, well, why not? While I'm partial to the tone of the stock Kontakt contrabassoon, I find the limited range bothersome at times. I haven't installed yet; so here's to hoping I'm pleasantly surprised!

Edit: Ugh. Not pleasantly surprised, after all. Nothing has been changed or fixed since I tried the demo four years ago. Modwheel still does nothing, legato patches don't legato at all (unless I'm missing something...). How can they charge $70 for these on their official site? I don't lament the loss of the 5 bucks, but I could use the time spent on the setup and the 7GB of storage space for something more productive...

RE: Sonivox Orchestral Companion thoughts - Mattias Westlund - 08-18-2019

(08-12-2019, 01:14 AM)Nayrb Wrote: How can they charge $70 for these on their official site? I don't lament the loss of the 5 bucks, but I could use the time spent on the setup and the 7GB of storage space for something more productive...

I have a strong feeling that the Sonivox of today is not related to the Sonic Implants of old (yeah, they used to call themselves that) who were very much at the forefront of sampling back in the day. I smell a brand name that was bought out only to be milked by some vague corporate entity when the original company went out of business. And it's a damn shame.